Bought Chivalry earlier but can't get the game to start!
Bought from Gamersgate and installed through Steam, when I choose 'Play' it very briefly shows me as playing the game then stops (ie. my steam avatar border goes green then blue rapidly). No splash screen or anything appears, no errors either.
The first time I tried it, it went through the installation of various files (direct x etc) with no errors.
The game hasn't created a profile for me yet, so there's no chivalry folder in my documents.
So what I've tried -
Reinstalling game fully, verifying local files
Removing directx files manually and letting the game reinstall them
Removing x3daudio1_7.dll file and letting it reinstall it
If I try and run UDK.exe directly I get an error stating "c:\windows\system32\D3DCOMPILER_43.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error". I've removed D3DCOMPILER_43.dll and let the game reinstall it, but the error message still happens.
AMD FX-6100 6 core processor (3.3ghz)
Ati Radeon 4800 512mb (VIdeo card drivers are fully up to date)
Fixed! See below:
Ok so this worked for me, no guarantee it'll work for everyone -
1) Double click UDK.exe. (for me it's located Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\Binaries\Win32)
2) take note of the error message, is it mentioning a direct x filename (something.dll) and a location?
3) Are you on a 64bit OS or 32bit? (rightclick 'my computer' and look at system info)
3a) 32bit OS, you can go to here (C:\Windows\System32) locate the file mentioned, rename it to something else (rather than delete)
3b) 64bit OS, go to (C:\Windows\SysWOW64), locate the file mentioned, rename it to something else (rather than delete)
4) Go back to the steam install location (\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\Binaries\Redist) and double click on UE3Redist.exe it should now reinstall your directx files. You should also notice it will replace the file you renamed just before.
5) again double-click UDK.exe and see if another error message appears about a file not working. If so, rename the file and repeat the above process.
6) Hopefully now it's working...